[PD] pdp - problem with philips webcam

Bill Sack wsack at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu May 1 23:58:23 CEST 2003

hi list,
this is fairly off-topic, but ... i have used a 'philips' webcam (really
a quickcam4000) successfully with pdp. i now need to connect to a
projector with smaller resolution than my notebook's 1400x1050 screen. i
discovered than when i startx with a smaller resolution (800x600 or
1027x768), the webcam's output is distorted - it's compressed into the
top 1/2 or 2/3 of the window (width is fine). the same thing happens
with xawtv, actually, so the problem is NOT with pdp but rather with the
pwc kernel driver (or my understanding of how it works). i don't add any
arguments to the module as it loads - the default was working pretty well.

if anyone has experieced anything like this and can possibly help,
please write me. i'm doing a presentation tomorrow and the projection
setup is basically not working. i have also written to the author of the
pwc driver.

thanks,
bill
--