[PD] videomixer.pd

chris clepper cclepper at artic.edu
Fri May 2 21:14:04 CEST 2003

>Recently there has been a lot of call on this list for a Gem video
>mixer, I myself have been one of the ones calling for it.  For any
>one out there interested recently I have made one that seems to
>work, and created a videomixer.pd file that uses it.  I want to
>thank Chris Clepper <cclepper at artic.edu>, for his tutorials and
>helpful suggestions.  My patch has no tutorials or explanation, so I
>would encourage continued development in this area.  In addition, it
>is somewhat of a CPU hog, because it uses the [pix_texture2] object,
>so finding a more efficient method is something to look into.  It is
>also a little messy, but moderately experienced Gem users should be
>able to decipher it. You may download it from:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/recursionvideolab/videomixer.zip
>
>Let me know what you think, preferably off list.  Also if any of you
>are in or around San Francisco, it would be fun to have a little
>conference/get together

That's pretty much one of the two methods that I will present in the
video mixing tutorial.  I plan to post it sometime this weekend.

The patch shouldn't require too much CPU since the video card does
all of the blending.  Out of curiosity, what platform, CPU, GPU,
movie size and codec are you using?  The codec can make a whole lot
of difference in performance.  After I get more of the tutorial
completed, I will write some docs on how to get the best performance
out of GEM including info about codecs, graphics chips as well as
techniques to optimize patches.

cgc