[PD] 0.37test4_report on OSX

Alex alex at idoia.com
Tue May 6 09:39:13 CEST 2003

Hi list,

I have been investigating about those audio inputs problems and here
comes what I found:

- I have downloaded the pd 0.37t4src directory for Linux or OSX from
Miller' s page.
- I have place it under /usr/local/ and I have done ./configure, make
and make install.
- having no audio card but the built in device I have started pd with
'pd'.
- I have then open the testtone.pd: the outputs works fine but I have
no inputs at  all. The hardware works, to test it I do a 'play through
in My Audio set up from OSX)

Now,  with a sound card. I have tried a 828Motu and Hammerfall DSP.
With both:
-With the Motu I get the problem of having only 8 channels shown( my
ADATs are switched on).
-The testtone.pd seems to send to the outputs but does not receive
anything from the inputs of the card.
-If I do a pd -channels 8, I get the following:
   Error number -9997 occured opening portaudio stream
   Error message: Invalid device ID.
  And I don' t get any sound in or out of pd.

if I compile the latest version of PAv18 with a PD tree 0.36.
I get all my 18 channels but the problem of missing inputs remains.

Now Phil Burk have checked PA v18 (latest version) and here is what he
has:

I drove over the Berkeley and ran some tests on his MOTU 828. The Mac
was a
recent G4 PowerBook.
I used the "debug_multi_in.c" program and could not reproduce any
problems
with input. I tried opening 2,3,4,5,8,10,18 channels. It always worked
fine.
I tried it with ADAT enabled and disabled. I also tried "patest_wire.c"
and
"patest_record.c". in all cases input worked fine.

I always wanted to ask:
  When installing pd, does something else apart from the pd directory
itself, get touched, changed or created anyhow by the installation ?

I hope this will help.
Regards
Alex