[PD] [inlet], [outlet].

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed May 7 00:01:38 CEST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, pix wrote:
> >  * [inlet] and [outlet] should have numeric argument.
> >   1. Behaviour should not depend on graphical appearance, except when
> >   otherwise not possible to do so. For example, if several connections
> >   come out of an outlet, connections are treated in an unspecified
> >   order. It is considered a bug to rely on that ordering. (Is it? I
> >   don't know the puredata mindset enough for that)
> just to be pedantic, having numeric arguments for inlets won't explicitly
> solve the "multiple connections from an outlet" problem. mutiple inlets
> with the same number would still be triggered in some unspecified order.
> the solution here is always to use a trigger if order of operations is
> important. it's safe to not use a trigger when operations can really occur
> in any order. theoretically computation could occur in parallel in these
> cases.

I don't call this being pedantic, I call it being mistaken about my
intention. I was using the "multiple connections from an outlet" problem
to make a parallel: the link between that and the case for
[inlet]/[outlet] arguments stops there; the parallel was about unspecified
behaviour in general.

About trigger. I actually prefer [fork], as it only orders messages and
nothing else, while [t a a] mangles a certain number of messages: for
example, bang gets transformed into a list containing a single element 0.0
???