[PD] [inlet], [outlet].

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Wed May 7 02:45:26 CEST 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> > Wish
> >  * [inlet] and [outlet] should have numeric argument.
> Because...? It would break a lot of patches, I guess.

No, obviously, backward compatibility can be kept by omitting the
argument; I mean, the way I propose does not conflict with the current
way.

> The position is saved in the patch file and thus can be deduced
> from reading the patch file (y-coordinate). In this regard it is not
> purely graphical.

Well duh, it's saved in the patch file. It _has_ to be saved in the patch
file, else the users would be mad. But I call it graphical anyway. (How
would _you_ call it, then ?)

> >   For example, if several connections come out of an outlet,
> >   connections are treated in an unspecified order.
> You're right, that this is a bit confusing.

I am not saying that this is confusing, I am saying that this is an
example of unspecified behaviour. I didn't say that unspecified behaviours
are confusing either. I did mean that some things are meant to be
naturally left unspecified, and that in that case, another means should be
there to allow one to control the behaviour explicitly. In this example,
there is [t] (which you mentioned), although it is a kludge (see my mail
about [t a a] messing with some messages' contents)

> Well, to rely on "unspecified order" isn't a bug, it's stupid.

A "bug" is not necessarily something that doesn't work *now*. I know a lot
of bugs (bug types) that only occur once in a while randomly. Well, they
still are bugs. Relying on unspecified behaviour is, to me, a bug.

> >   2. Each functionality must be accessible by at least one explicitly
> >   specified behaviour. (i.e. unspecified behaviours do not count as a
> >   valid way to use a feature)
> See [trigger] again. Or maybe I missed the whole point?

You missed the whole point. This example was only used to illustrate the
rationale behind my solution to the issue with [inlet]/[outlet]. The
numeric argument thereof (specifying inlet/outlet number) would be to the
[inlet]/[outlet] problem what [t] is to the connection-ordering problem.