[PD] [inlet], [outlet].

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed May 7 16:30:09 CEST 2003

hi Michal,

the point is about adding a numbering argument only as an option,
which would not break neither old Pd patches, nor max import
feature.

For a developer who works on making Pd read Max patches (but not
vice versa...), the real trouble is that there are no [inlet~]s
and [outlet~]s, in msp, just the 'mixlets'.  Right now, any
imported msp patch has to be manually adjusted.  I will try to
add an additional parsing pass in order to account for that,
eventually, but I am pretty certain, this would not work for
any patch.

You are right, though, the numbered i/o, even if useful, is not
the top priority now, after so much work has been done without...

Krzysztof

Michal Seta wrote:
 > I think it makes a lot of sense, for a visual programming environment, if the (visual)
order of inlets & outlets in the subpatch/abstraction is reflected on the parent.  I
haven't used jMax but Max works in the same way.  Not that I care much for Max these days
but if there is some work being done by some of the developers to make PD read Max patches
(and vice versa?) then a different behaviour would create more, unnecessary, confusion.
Not to mention the compatibility with older PD patches.