[PD] 0.37 test 4 - receive vs CVS/Pd extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 7 22:33:42 CEST 2003

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 04:59 America/New_York, guenter geiger wrote:

> On Sun, 4 May 2003, Adam Lindsay wrote:
>> installation is easier, but I don't see a pressing need for a full
>> distro
>> for the CVS version. Thoughts?
>
> Right, releases from the CVS version should actually be avoided if
> possible. I see the CVS rather as a repository for suggested additions
> and not as a "split" of pd. Thats why the CVS version is experimental.

We may not need a separate distro now, but once more stuff is added to
the CVS, then people are going to want a CVS distro again.  Plus if we
are adding to the CVS, then people should test it.  More people will
test it if its easy to install.  I personally like packages (OS X,
debs, whatever) because they make it much easier to keep track of
what's installed.  I have 13 Macs which I use for sound installations,
two linux boxes, and a Windows machine that I use Pd on, so anything
that makes managing installs easier I like.

So I think we should have most people using the main distro, and then
those with specific interest can use the CVS packages.