[PD] Online Gig Project

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Fri May 9 03:05:44 CEST 2003

Hi, I'm snipping some of your stuff, thinking that anyone interested already
read the fascinating concept.

On Thursday 08 May 2003 14:35, Alex wrote:

> Delays due to CPU performance, connexion speed and network congestion
> have never been considered as creative tools in previous attempts but
> rather as drawbacks of today technology. The main purpose of the
> project is precisely to give those technical features a particular
> artistic role within the musical composition process. Computers become
> a medium rather than a tool.

The above statement compelled my to respond, because it is entirely false, and
I'm surprised you would suggest that the inherent delays "have never been
considered as creative tools ..."

I think you underestimate the intelligence of the average musical artist.

It is entirely not true! I remember conversations on Compuserve, even I think
before the Internet was open to commercial traffic, on how to creatively deal
with the transport delay and incorporate it into some kind of online jam
session, with the appropriate software.

What was missing at the time was easy tools for implementation.

Your contribution seems to be an effective implementation of the concept;
that is far more valuable than the idea in itself, which in fact is easy to
come by.  IOW the perspiration is the bulk of the effort and not the
inspiration. Therefore, having used the former to acheive an actual
implementation, you should be proud and commended for that.

As for the rest of the points you bring up, I'll take a night's sleep  on it
:-)

Larry