[PD] transpose

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun May 11 23:42:26 CEST 2003

Hallo,
derek holzer hat gesagt: // derek holzer wrote:

> yeah, that is the idea. have a look at Thomas Musil's patch that i sent,
> as he found the most elegant way of dealing with it: two variable delays
> that [as far as i understand] crossfade against each other while they
> lengthen or shorten, so that when the buffer of one runs out, it has
> already crossfaded to the other where it picks up again. smaller vd~
> sizes are good for higher input frequencies, but lower input frequencies
> will need a bigger buffer to keep from "granulating" them.
>
> at least this is how it was explained to me :-)

It's correct in the big picture. It is also included in the pd
distribution as doc/3.audio.examples/56.delay.pitchshift.pd
In the books it is called a "rotating tape head" delay.

In modern commercial apps often granular snythesis is used to change
the tempo and pitch of loops independently. The syncgrain~ external
works great for file loops, but not for incoming signals. I guess,
munger~ might be the way do do it here.

ciao