[PD] pure-data.org

jfm3 jfm3 at ouroboros-complex.org
Tue May 13 05:05:17 CEST 2003

I agree with the basic assessment: developers will publish and share
their work in whatever way strikes them as easiest at the moment.
They're primarily interested in developing, after all. A common CVS tree
is miracle enough!

What I thought would be useful was a portal for users of pure data. I
think I was wrong, or at least, unable to power the idea as much as it
needed. Not just a portal for users is needed, but a portal for users
edited by someone who is a developer, who also packages pd and it's
externals for different platforms (eliminating significant user hassle),
and has the patience to do so in a strong long-term commitment.
Thousands registered at pure-data.org. The not-a-developer user
community is obviously there. But the unanswered question is, will a
combination of a portal and a set of pd+externals package maintainers
would successfully meet a need of those users? Probably.

So at that point, why not build a portal around one of the existing
libre-audio-software-packaging projects, and perhaps a set of
contemporary artistic philosophies, i.e., subjective content as well as
objective content? This is what I'm hoping to build. Of course, it will
take even more energy than pure-data.org did, so I'm trying to build it
with a distributed editorial process. We all joust at windmills. One of
mine seems to be shaped like an internet community.

I also suggest against bickering over the site engine implementation
language. Just get something reasonable from the open source community,
make your 20 lines of changes, and then get back to worrying about
content! Those who use the site won't care about variable declaration
semantics!

All my hot air aside, one of you say the word and I'll transfer the
domain. The site you build is more important than the clever domain! I
will keep the existing thing up for another month or so...

--
(jfm3  2838 BCBA 93BA 3058 ED95  A42C 37DB 66D1 B43C 9FD0)