[PD] pure-data.org

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue May 13 11:12:49 CEST 2003

On 12 May 2003, Marc [ISO-8859-1] Lavallée wrote:
> stm_sq^n wrote :
>
> > the right question would be, is such a website is really needed ?
>
> Each time I try to find new information about PD, I click and google the
> web forever. The pd webring, spider and other url lists are useful, but
> what's needed now is a unique collaborative portal, where all softwares,
> externals, documentation and tutorials would be collected, adapted,
> corrected, standardized, translated...

Part of this is already there, as an idea at least, its the CVS.
I think it is very important that the documentation, translations,
help patches etc etc go closely together with the software, otherwise
it creates lots of work to keep them in sync.

If this has been achieved, a pure-data.org can concentrate on the
interesting things about pd, instead of just being a place to help
to navigate the jungle.

I think a collaborative pure-data.org is actually the only way to go.
But before jumping into it, we are in need of some discussion. There
are a lot of people out there that provide information on PD
and haven't spoken up on this thread.

From my experience it is pretty hard to jump on train that you missed
(especially if you have started your journey with your bicycle already)

So the first thing that has to be done is to get the opinions from
the key persons, those who already did a lot of work in this direction.
It is important to get all of them in.

Greetings,

Guenter