[PD] RE: pure-data.org

Marcus Estes MarcusE at elliottwave.com
Tue May 13 15:37:48 CEST 2003

Regarding a pure-data user portal, I'm inclined to think that a single
person doesn't have to devote all their time to maintaining it to keep
it vital. A good example of an enormously active user community that
doesn't require a lot of managing is metafilter.com.

Because it's thread-based (like Slashdot), the users themselves are
responsible for keeping the site active and up-to-date. As long as any
given pd developer or user feels that they have a responsive audience, I
think an open system that will allow them to post their own discussion
topics and software will be more than enough motivation to ask everyone
to pitch in.

Let's lay out some objectives for the site. It seems like we can split
the user's needs into two categories: music and development.

For the musicians, one element that I find sorely lacking in the pd
community is a place where users can exchange patches. (A small amount
of pd patch exchanging can be found on www.em411.com. It's nice, but not
enough.) If we can develop a system where the user can not only upload
the patch and all of the necessary abstractions, but also name the build
version and libraries involved, it should be easy enough to get everyone
on the same page.

In order to convince developers to use the site for their purposes,
we'll need to create an environment similar to what's hosted over at
sourceforge. Devs should be able to list projects, have others comment
on them, and note version changes whenever they like. The devs section
could be a very handy reference for those looking to download missing
components of a patch that they'd like to use.

These two elements together should do wonders for those looking to learn
about pd. In addition, we should create a learning environment where
people can upload docs and patch-based lessons.

As for the software needed for this kind of venture, could "Freefilter"
(http://www.bigbold.com/freefilter/) be modified to accomplish all of
this? I've been considering developing a pd community along these lines,
so I'd be more than willing to help out wherever I can.

      ---Marcus

Message: 1