[PD] readanysf~

august august at alien.mur.at
Tue May 13 17:17:02 CEST 2003

Frank Barknecht
> Usability-wise I guess, I would like to have "pause 1/0" messages, so
> that it's easier to use the pause function like on a Technics mk1200:
> Press to pause, press again to unpause. Otherwise a great external but
> I said that, didn't I?

i was also thinking about a play 1 and play 0.   but, one could also build
this in pd.  probably will be in the next release.

>Maybe it would be solved with interpolation, but something very
>important for DJing is nudging i.e. pushing the track a short time
>for- or backward (around 5-10 msec) to align the tempo of two tracks.
>This currently results in clicks, at least the way I built it.  Also
>this might be easier to build, if there was a pcm_samples output.

ill look into this though.  maybe its not so difficult.

in principal it would be the same as pausing for x milliseconds eh?
or doing a pcmseek +64  without flushing the internal buffer.

CK:
>andI might add playing backwards and some sort of interpolation would
>be nice (or did I miss something)

because of the buffering, playing backwards is a bit difficult.  but not
impossible.  with mp3 its a bit tricky cause it takes a lot of recources
to be sample accurate with seeking.  again, not impossible though.

and, what exactly do you mean by interpolation?  example code?

Maurizio :
>If you don't compile something in (for example streaming mp3 support)
>and you try to use that, it causes segfault.

ok, that must be a bug. ill look into it when I get back to vienna

tim:
>I get glitches when speeding up readanysf~ playback.  Slowing down is
>great.  Does speeding up work smoothly for
>anyone else?

could be problem with the slider.  the threshold from (1 - 12) is much
greater on the vslider than from 1-.2 for example.  you might try building
a slider that is larger for the areas between .2 - 1
clicking might also happen if the file cant be read fast enough.

needless to say, you'll run into problemw speeding up streams from the
net.

looking into it all

thanks for the feedback.  that helps! - august.