[PD] pure-data.org

David Casal d.casal at uea.ac.uk
Tue May 13 18:06:51 CEST 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> David Casal wrote :
>
> > I am not advocating that we launch into Cocoon for the PD portal,
> > however (though that -could- be a good idea), since I suspect
> > that Zope-like solutions might be easier to develop maintain...
>
> Most Java solutions for the web are overbloated.  If Forest is good for
> a specific task like documentation, and if it's manageable, it's worth
> the try, as long as it's simple enough. For the portal, I don't know if
> Python is simpler than PHP, but the available portal kit seems better in
> Python than in PHP.

Yes, most are. Cocoon is no different, but is the fastest and most mature
of them. It is being used in severe load-balancing situations (a couple of
swiss banks, vodafone, etc.). Personally, because I've seen it work like
that, I believe it would do the job provided there were people willing to
learn it, etc. However, a Python portal solution seems quicker, easier in
the short term and more inclusive.

For documentation, however, I have yet to see anything as comprehensive as
Forrest. For example, it has TODO and FAQ DTD's, and generates printable
and PDF docs from simple XML, which anyone would be able to
author/contribute. As simple as that.

Just my 2p. I would be willing to help with a Python portal solution
(since Python is my bag and I'd like to get into its web-publishing
pants), and I'll generate a PD Forrest site if consensus asks for it,
provided we have somewhere to host it.

Christian...could you provide hosting for Tomcat 4.10.1 and Cocoon-based
sites?

David Casal
e:  d.casal at uea.ac.uk
w:  ariada.uea.ac.uk/~dcasal