[PD] pure-data.org

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu May 15 21:44:29 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> - I also can provide DNS and free webspace for this site.  It would be
> hosted on a Debian-I386 box and I could setup whatever software we
> decided on.

A 386?!?

> - I am definitely willing to do a lot of setup work this summer, and
> some of the maintanance for the for the forseeable future.  But it
> should be set up in a way that we can have numerous maintainers.

Several "Admins" are a must, I think. I guess, this could be done with
Plone.

> - I like the blog aspect of the current site and I think it could
> develop into an important resource.  I also think that web forums would
> be very useful, especially if they could be linked with the pd-list.

I wouldn't use a Webforum regularly. I'm very partial to mailing
lists - because of their "push" nature: You don't need to do anything
to get input. I do see a place for web-interaction and that is
discussing of articles that appear on the website. Think Slashdot and
also think WikiWeb.

> - Of all of the offers on the table, I think that the IEM one is the
> best.  We get the fat pipe, plenty of disk space, and some maintanance.

Technical maintainance can take loads of time. It's fun, too, but with
the IEM idea, I like that it in the end boils down to the IEM guys
doing the hard admin stuff. Not that I wouldn't like to help take this
burden, but there is a serious problem of coordination. It is IMO
important that someone actually *is* responsible for the technical
part and that that someone has the right to decide about technical
questions in the end. Administration is no area of *debates*, it's
*work*.

> - I am more partial to PHP since I already know it a bit and it seems
> to be a wider standard.  But if the concensus is Python or whatever, I
> am willing to learn.  Plone looks promising.

In the end we shouldn't deal much with actual programming of web
applications. I mean, this is a *Pd*-community. Leave that to the
Plone/PHPNuke/Slashcode guys. ;)

> - I think what we should do now before commiting to a new model for the
> site is throw out examples of sites out there that we think we should
> emulate.

Actually plone.org is a good example. They have this categories:

  About Plone
  Development
  Documentation
  Downloads
  Public Relations
  [Members]

which is exactly how I could figure a future pd.org. I'd also like to
see the mailing list archive there, but I'm not sure in which
category.

But maybe Winfried could elaborate, why IEM chose Plone?

ciao