[PD] PD Launcher/External Manager

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 16 19:39:00 CEST 2003

This is a great idea, something I was planning on working on this
summer.  I'd like to contribute if possible.  Perhaps we can put it in
the CVS and collaborate.

As for distributing the externals, I think rather than building our own
distribution system, we should use what's out there for each OS.
Debian and RedHat have very nice existing methods, and the externals in
the SourceForge CVS can be compiled into a set of Debian packages right
now.  They just need to be submitted to the Debian and/or DeMuDi
repository.  It shouldn't be too hard to add RedHat/PlanetCCRMA to
that, but currently Nando at CCRMA does that outside of the CVS.

For Windows and OS X, if we make installer packages for the same sets
of externals as the Debian packages, that will greatly simplify things.
  But the biggest thing that would improve the situation would be to
have all of the externals in the CVS.  Then they would be included in
the existing packages, or if necessary, they can be made into their own
package.

Think of it this way: if we had all of the externals that didn't have
lib dependencies in the CVS, they could all be included in the main
externals package in the CVS and they would all be installed with that
package.  The key omissions that I can think of off the top of my head
are the collections of Olaf Matthes, Krzysztof Czaja, Thomas Musil,
Dave Sabine, and Yves Degoyon; there are others as well, who's objects
are an important addition to anyone's pd install, and I hope that
anyone who writes externals for pd will contribute them to the CVS.

So to encourage others to join the CVS, I am going to configure access
control lists in the CVS so that devs who choose to can restrict write
access to their code in the CVS.  I am also willing to upload people's
code and help with setting up CVS access.

.hc

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 13:00 America/New_York, bbogart at ryerson.ca