[PD] pure-data.org

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri May 16 19:49:20 CEST 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 15:44 America/New_York, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> - I also can provide DNS and free webspace for this site.  It would be
>> hosted on a Debian-I386 box and I could setup whatever software we
>> decided on.
>
> A 386?!?

I meant architecture, as opposed to powerpc or sparc, which I actually
deal with.  The machine is a new Dell server.

>> - I like the blog aspect of the current site and I think it could
>> develop into an important resource.  I also think that web forums
>> would
>> be very useful, especially if they could be linked with the pd-list.
>
> I wouldn't use a Webforum regularly. I'm very partial to mailing
> lists - because of their "push" nature: You don't need to do anything
> to get input. I do see a place for web-interaction and that is
> discussing of articles that appear on the website. Think Slashdot and
> also think WikiWeb.

At my University, many people are very hesitant to post questions to
the list because that means you have to join the list and get another
torrent of email.  So the list works well for people who's main
environment is Pd, but for those who are just learning or trying it
out, they probably don't want to have to wade through a ton of messages
which don't make much sense to them.  So basically, I think Forums
would be very good for the newbies.

>> - Of all of the offers on the table, I think that the IEM one is the
>> best.  We get the fat pipe, plenty of disk space, and some
>> maintanance.
>
> Technical maintainance can take loads of time. It's fun, too, but with
> the IEM idea, I like that it in the end boils down to the IEM guys
> doing the hard admin stuff. Not that I wouldn't like to help take this
> burden, but there is a serious problem of coordination. It is IMO
> important that someone actually *is* responsible for the technical
> part and that that someone has the right to decide about technical
> questions in the end. Administration is no area of *debates*, it's
> *work*.

I am sysadmin, and this would not be much work for me once its set up.
The server's been running for almost a year, and I rarely log into it
since it just works.  But I think the IEM solution is better.  I am
just extending the offer in case its useful.