[PD] PD Launcher/External Manager

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri May 16 20:19:23 CEST 2003

Hallo,

> This is a great idea, something I was planning on working on this
> summer.  I'd like to contribute if possible.  Perhaps we can put it in
> the CVS and collaborate.

For some time I have the idea of an "Edit->Preferences" menu entry,
that on Linux/Mac just edits the ~/.pdrc and on W32 maybe writes a
.bat file or starts Pd with appropriate options. This shouldn't be too
hard, but I'm very bad at tk.

> As for distributing the externals, I think rather than building our own
> distribution system, we should use what's out there for each OS.
> Debian and RedHat have very nice existing methods, and the externals in
> the SourceForge CVS can be compiled into a set of Debian packages right
> now.  They just need to be submitted to the Debian and/or DeMuDi
> repository.  It shouldn't be too hard to add RedHat/PlanetCCRMA to
> that, but currently Nando at CCRMA does that outside of the CVS.

At the LAD conference Fernando and me talked about this. If I remember
this correct, he was interested in maybe putting a rpm.specs file or
such into out CVS.

> Think of it this way: if we had all of the externals that didn't have
> lib dependencies in the CVS, they could all be included in the main
> externals package in the CVS and they would all be installed with that
> package.  The key omissions that I can think of off the top of my head
> are the collections of Olaf Matthes,

Olaf's externals (maybe not all) are already in...

> Krzysztof Czaja,

... soon to come ...

> Thomas Musil, Dave Sabine, and Yves Degoyon;

... and sorely missed.

> So to encourage others to join the CVS, I am going to configure access
> control lists in the CVS so that devs who choose to can restrict write
> access to their code in the CVS.  I am also willing to upload people's
> code and help with setting up CVS access.

That's a good idea, also to maybe get the main pd-development into a
common CVS (hint, hint;)

ciao