[PD] [OT] notebook recommendations?

d. daniell m at tinynumbers.com
Tue May 20 18:52:40 CEST 2003

I really hate it when people do this, but I'm near wits end with my search
for a reasonably priced laptop/notebook on which I would be able to run
Linux and PD.  I currently have a Dell CPx-J650 which is fine for most
things but the beast is completely unshielded, it would seem, and so noisy
as to render it basically useless for audio (even using my external audio
interface - the noise leaks out to it as well).

So I'm looking for any recommendations or suggestions from PD'ers who have
recently purchased PC laptops and are running Linux/PD on them.  Positive
or negative experiences would both be appreciated.  I'm hoping to keep the
price under $2000 if possible.

While we're at it, I'm about to ebay my MOTU 828 Firewire audio interface,
since MOTU doesn't support Linux - so I'll be looking for a replacement
good-quality external audio interface.  I have heard great things about
the Hammerfall cardbus system, but the pricetag (>$1000) is a little steep
for me, if there are similar options - something with great quality,
multiple analog I/Os, SPDIF, etc - that work just as well.  Any
suggestions or experiences?

Thanks so much.
- david d.