[PD] Jamma

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed May 21 11:40:29 CEST 2003

Hallo,
matthew jones hat gesagt: // matthew jones wrote:

> [any] is a 'latch for anything'
> [pp] is prepend, for prepending strings

Although I have both, Jamma doesn't load here. Pd sits still trying to
load it for a while, then crashes. With "-loadbang" it gets a bit
farther and once displayed the Jama, but then it crached anyways.

I don't have an 8-channel soundcard, though, so I might not be
supposed to be able to run it, because the requirements aren't met.

> > ...also, this thing is a MAJOR cpu hog on OSX:  just having the patch
> > open causes wish shell & pd to both grab about 40% cpu!!!
>
> I know that jamma is thirsty, it takes a while to get all that RAM reserved,
> though shouldn't be using too much cpu when not triggered/triggering.
> still, if you've adjusted your audio buffer size to give pd more room to
> manouvre and it's still being too thirsty you might think about removing all
> those level meters and env~ objects (pity to do it though).  I do wonder why
> it has to use so much of the resources just to display levels, but theres
> nowt I can do it seems.

Without being able to test Jamma, I can only guess, but using a lot of vu's
and standard number boxes is bad for performance. Using vu inside a
graph-on-parent patch makes things exponentially worse, so never do
that.

ciao