[PD] [OT] notebook recommendations?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed May 21 12:00:42 CEST 2003

hi jaakko,

using debian linux with RME HDSP cardbus on Asus L3 series laptop. the
laptop itself isn't super. biggest problem is that everything in the
enitre world, including the soundcard and PCMCIA bus [along with
firewire, usb, modem and ethernet] are all wired to IRQ 9, making it a
crowded little bus. it has a super-stoopid BIOS which doesn't allow me
to change IRQ routing, so if anybody knows enough about kernel boot
parameters to give me some tips on this speak now.... also, the pcmcia
hardware is not the best [ricoh cardbus controllers are explicitely NOT
recommended by RME. too bad i read this too late....]. still, with jack
and alsa running, i get fairly good, low latency results, even if RME
tells me i will never run all 18 channels at once!

in your RME HDSPsearch, perhaps you ran accross these sites:

http://pd.klingt.org/files/hdsp-howto.html
http://petertodd.ca/hdsp.php

i'll have to make my own page. someday....

good luck to all linux laptop audio aspirants,
derek