[PD] Graphics generation

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Fri May 23 17:39:11 CEST 2003

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Willem Paling wrote:

> I've found Gem, Framestein and the flashserver externals...all seem
> pretty interesting.  Is there much else out there though?  What about
> stuff that turns images into sound so you could create some kind of
> image generating sound => sound generating image weird feedback loop?

The closest you can find to Jitter in the free software world is GridFlow,
which supports the same "matrix-oriented" way of thinking. However it
doesn't communicate with the DSP nor with OpenGL. In addition, it doesn't
work well with PD (it's centered on jMax-2.5).

BTW, for anyone interested, I'm looking for someone to fix the bugs in
GridFlow-for-PD. The reward is a big praise but also a (large) piece of
software that works.

Let's see how big GridFlow is, for those who don't realize... That's over
50 object classes, several of which are extremely configurable. All
ordinary math operations (40 of them) are all available through _one_
object class ([@]), and those 40 are also usable in other objects. There
is also support for 6 number types, and 10 format handlers.

> I don't think Gem does exactly what I want...

AFAIK, the commonly available version of GEM does only OpenGL, while there
is a test version that also does straight video processing.