[PD] P4 optimisation [for Linux?]

derek at x-i.net derek at x-i.net
Sat May 24 18:56:11 CEST 2003

i get these CPU jumps in a big way under Linux and Win both. i've been told it
has a lot to do with signals which are very near zero, but not quite. johannes
taelman told me the technical name for this, but i have forgotten it...
"denormal numbers", maybe ....

anyway, if there are any patches which can be applied to a Linux compile of PD
which are bug fixes for this, can somebody let me know? otherwise, how do people
usually handle this. thomas musil says he just pumps a very small signal that is
over this threshold through the whole system. could you also "clip~" the signal
streams, except to clip them on the low end?

just musings...

thx,
d.