[PD] P4 optimisation [for Linux?]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun May 25 15:42:47 CEST 2003

Johannes, Olaf, Guenter....

thanks for these explanations. according to the very informative docs
that Johannes sent, Intel doesn't consider this denormal bug to be their
problem, and expect that software manufacturers will code around it.

also, looking at Olaf's patches, they make sense, but i lack the
programming know-how to put them in the "critical spots".

so my question: could we "officially" incorperate these patches to fix
the denormal problem into the PD release? such patches would have no
detrimental effect on other processors/operating systems, right? perhaps
they would even improve performance of other processors, since denormal
numbers must eat CPU time of any machine to calculate, not just P4s.

best,
derek