[PD] pd newbie: csound gen subroutines in pd?

Kyle Klipowicz t3553r4ct at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 03:52:09 CEST 2003

> i am wondering if someone could explain the
> equivalent in PD to the f-tables
> and GEN subroutines in CSound.

The f-tables are akin to "tabread~"-ing an $0-array
into a phasor, such as the classic "continuous soft
and relaxing" demo which we have all grown to have
forcefully embedded in our brains while learning about
phasor~s in the looping sampler tutorial.  (I'll be
damned if someday I hear that sample in a high gloss
pop song).  You can look at the array tutorial file
also to see how to add sinusoidal funtions to create
neat sounding waves, or even draw your own.  I
recommend an array size of 512 or 1024 for quality's
sake.  You need to multiply your phasor output by the
same number as your array size too...I hope I'm not
rambling.  I just got back from an afternoon cocktail
party and feel helpfully inebriated!  Good luck,
you'll find PD better for realtime than CSound, but if
you want better sequencing and don't like qlists,
professional midi controllers or reaktor/analogue
style sequencing, you might have trouble with
reproducible results.  Blah.  Oh yeah, and the GEN
functions are pretty much going to be limited to
things like your basic osc~, phasor~, etc.  There
aren't really any complicated built in functions like
the CSound crowd is used to other than the externals
that other people have made, and the patches that you
are either creative enough to build or lucky enough to
find from the list/webring.  But I can't remember,
there may be a csound~ external in the works for pd.
I know that MAX/MSP has one.

All errors and fallacies are due to lack of geeky
perfection.

~Kyle

=====
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain
a thought without accepting it." -- Aristotle
this has been a telepathically-charged broadcast from the mind of kyle klipowicz.  care to respond?