[PD] An Iterator object

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu May 29 14:39:55 CEST 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi Kjetil,
> k_cext seems to be very interesting....
> my questions:
>
> 1) does the scripted C code get compiled on the fly? (and how is the
> compilation delay handled?)

The c code is compiled, linked, and dynamically loaded only when an
k_cext object is created.

from k_cext.c:

void k_cext_setup(void)
{
    k_cext_class = class_new(gensym("k_cext"), (t_newmethod)k_cext_new,
    	(t_method)k_cext_free, sizeof(t_k_cext), 0, A_GIMME, 0);

}

static void *k_cext_new(t_symbol *s, t_int argc, t_atom* argv)
{
   <some initialization>
   <for each atom in argv>:
      <generate c code>
   <compile c code>
   <link c code>
   <dynamically load c code into pd>
   <delete c code source and object files>
}

> 2) which C compilers can be used (and where are they configured)?

gcc for linux, and microsoft compiler for window.

> 3) are there platform-dependencies?

Yes, but its not a big problem. It does work for linux and windows,
and should work for macosx too.
See the k_cext_<os>.c files.