pd internals (was Re[2]: [PD] switcher?)

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Fri Jun 6 11:51:05 CEST 2003

> Try to solve the problem within pd, there are several ways, and some
> are even better as matrix~, because you save CPU when generators are
> switched off.
> If you do it that way, you will not only have the problem solved, but
> you will get the understanding of how PD works.

i understand your approach to minimize the use of externals. but i
have a few general questions about how pd works:

- dsp cycles: if i have a complex calculation that requires several pd
  objects, will it take several dsp cycles (one for each object) or is
  it calculated at once. eg, if i have an abstraction that does 100
  calculations (one after another) when i send a bang, would it take
  100 dsp cycles?

- how can you switch of the calculation of some generators /
  subpatches / patches? (i would really need this in my patches)

- abstractions vs externals: i suppose externals would be faster (if
  you want you could even write your external in the assembler
  language of your machine), but require more ram (more code, maybe
  larger classes)... is this correct?

thanks a lot...

 Tim                          mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.net
                              ICQ: 96771783
                              http://www.nyds-exp-discogs.tk
--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,