pd internals (was Re[2]: [PD] switcher?)

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Fri Jun 6 12:48:51 CEST 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > Try to solve the problem within pd, there are several ways, and some
> > are even better as matrix~, because you save CPU when generators are
> > switched off.
> > If you do it that way, you will not only have the problem solved, but
> > you will get the understanding of how PD works.
>
> i understand your approach to minimize the use of externals. but i
> have a few general questions about how pd works:
>
> - dsp cycles: if i have a complex calculation that requires several pd
>   objects, will it take several dsp cycles (one for each object) or is
>   it calculated at once. eg, if i have an abstraction that does 100
>   calculations (one after another) when i send a bang, would it take
>   100 dsp cycles?

No, message (control) objects are calculated when they get triggered
(this is different from ~ objects).
Normally, if you have a complicated calculation this will not cost
too much CPU, because its a one time event.

These kinds of calculations get critical though, if you trigger them
really frequently, use loops, etc, etc.

> - how can you switch of the calculation of some generators /
>   subpatches / patches? (i would really need this in my patches)

yes, in subpatches you can use the [switch~] object, which will
turn on and off audio calculations.

> - abstractions vs externals: i suppose externals would be faster (if
>   you want you could even write your external in the assembler
>   language of your machine), but require more ram (more code, maybe
>   larger classes)... is this correct?
>
> thanks a lot...

Well, the drawback of externals is that they require more time to write,
are inherently inflexible, harder to port, harder to debug, maintain,
read, dangerous (can crash pd) , ....

Reasons to write and use externals are:
- can't built the same functionality with abstraction
- if I built the same as an abstraction its
  * too slow
  * not easily possible
- I need some dynamic behaviour that is not easily possible in pd
- compatibility
- .....

Finally, I think it pays off to read through the documentation of pd
and try to  understand it.

Guenter