[PD] [OT] bugbear ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 10 03:34:01 CEST 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> > Well, even in diversified niches, you usually have three
> > (or even just two) major players which together are used
> > in well over 50% of installations.
> RedHat, Debian, Suse and Mandrake? The advantage of using Gnu/Linux is
> that even among the same distributions there enough diversity and
> versions to almost discourage virus writers.

I'd expect linux viruses to _not_ depend on libc.so nor any other library,
and whenever a program only uses the kernel interface (or is linked
statically), its portability is severely increased. It only has to be
compatible with the kernel, and in the case of GNU/Linux, the Linux kernel
has quite a bit of a monopoly in the kernel business. ;-)