[PD] Newbie questions...

Atte André Jensen atte at ballbreaker.dk
Tue Jun 10 13:11:58 CEST 2003

I'm pretty new to audio under linux, but installed Agnula including pd
and alsa and the low-latency kernel. For now I starting out slow by
focusing on audio and leaving midi for later... But I have some
problems:

I run pd with "pd -alsa -nomidi" but get:

Sample width set to 2 bytes
snd_pcm_hw_params_set_format (output): Invalid argument

The test tone generated by pd under "Test Audio and MIDI" sounds very
distorted. and the peaks under out are showing 60 and 80 (under -40 and
-20).

Another interresting (?) thing is that before running pd xmms works
(with the "ALSA 0.9 output plugin [libALSA.so]" Output Plugin), but
after having run pd xmms simply freezes (not crashes or dies, the time
just stays on 00:00) and doesn't play anything.

Any clues or pointers? Are there any known issues with pd/alsa/agnula? I
tried google but the only thing I could find was someone having a
similar problem on an ibook...

Another question: When I get things going I dream about buying a PIV
2400 laptop for running pd and/or csound (not going to run any seqencers
or the like live, simply softsynths controlled by midi controlers) for
live performance. How well can I expect this to perform in terms of
polyphony and latency with average complicated patches?

Thanks in advance
--
peace, love & harmony
Atte