[PD] how to get mic/line-in audio into pd?

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Wed Jun 18 00:57:56 CEST 2003

Hi there -

Thanks to all for the ideas about parsing!  I'm now having trouble
getting audio from the microphone on my laptop into PD.  When I record a
wav file from adc~ as the source rather than osc~, I only get silence.
 After spending some time muting/unmuting various things in alsamixer, I
can't seem to figure out how to tell pd to capture from the microphone
(or line-in for that matter).  The list of devices in alsamixer that
sound promising is big:

(possibly mic-related)
ADC
Capture
Mic
Mic Select (Mic1 or Mic2)

(line-in related?)
Aux
Line

Can someone offer some guidance about how these levels should be set to
send audio to PD, and how I tell PD which one I am interested in
capturing from?  (I'm using ALSA on a IBM Thinkpad, with
planet-ccrma-style Redhat 8.0)
much appreciated,
David Merrill