[PD] PID loops/controlling robots with PD

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 20 18:46:28 CEST 2003

I am working with http://www.amorphicrobotworks.org to help them move
from Max/MSP on MacOS 9 to Pd on Windows so that don't need two
computers for each robot.  Currently the set up is two computers: one
Windows PC running ShowFlow/HRBox (http://www.mediamat.com/) responding
to MIDI input; and one Mac running Max/MSP to control the HRBox
software using MIDI.  By using PD, we can have both programs running on
one computer.  Also, we can save money by not having to buy Max/MSP for
each robot.

So this got me thinking.   The ShowFlow/HRBox software is expensive and
we are basically only using the PID loop control features of it, so if
I could do this in Pd, as well as the data aquisition, then I could run
the whole robot using Pd alone.  So I am wondering whether anyone else
has tried using Pd to control robots?