[PD] Re: reduce CPU usage

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Mon Jun 23 11:27:07 CEST 2003

chris clepper schrieb:
> i don't see a version 1.0.1 on that page and the freeverb~.c file is
> dated july 7 2002.  maybe the website updates haven't gone through
> yet?

Hi Chris,

I checked the site again, it should be there. The third one from the
top....

> a bypass is a great idea and i think more pd audio externals
> should have that.  i can see how a conditional controlling the state
> of processing would use some cpu but it should be a better alternative
> to having it process when not needed.

In Max it seems to be possible to 'disable' single objects (instead of
turning off DSP for a whole subpatch). I havn't found out how to do this
yet.

> i can have a try at the freeverb~
> code too if you want.  if you really want to get serious about having
> it go fast on PPC then altivec is the way to go - even without much
> unrolling it will be a whole lot faster than scalar (~300%).

First of all, many thanks for the detailed information! I'll try some of
these tips with freeverb~ and see what it does. But I can't use/test
altivec since I only have a G3....

Olaf