[PD] [OT] some thinkings about Pure-data

pix pix at test.at
Wed Jun 25 18:40:23 CEST 2003

most of the patches you find on the web are "tools". either externals, or
abstractions. if you do happen to find a standalone patch, it has been
generalised to the point where it is almost tool-like.

i guess people tend to keep their actual performance patches to
themselves. either because they have put a lot of effort into them, or
because they are constantly evolving.

it's not quite the same as sharing a c program you have written, where the
goal of the program is to perform some function. in the case of the c
program, when it performs that function, you can polish it for release
into the general public. patches are for creating with, and for this
reason can probably never be perfect, or complete enough to be "released".

just making an attempt at explaining the phenomenon. there is a lot of
work being done all the time in pd, but the amount leaking into the public
domain isn't representative.

pix.