[PD] spherical vector addition

Cyrille Henry cyrille.henry at la-kitchen.fr
Thu Jun 26 17:27:12 CEST 2003

zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> yes of course, but this is how you add a spherical to a cartesian vector.
> if you want to add 2 spherical vectors, just add them element-by-element...

hum,

[R phy Theta<

[sph2cart ]
|    |    |
|		[R phy Theta<
|		|
		[sph2cart]
		/ / |

[+ ]	[+ ]	[+ ]
|	/	/
[cart2sph]

is all right.

adding 2 spherical vector element by elements does not output the same
result.

> what machine are you running ? how "many" vectors ?

I'm mostly on a P3 850Mhz, win2K.
I need minimum 500 addition, 5000 would be good, lot's more would be
interesting...

computing all this addition 25 times per seconde.

I use this with gem, for surface rendering, using [primtri].
This patch sould not use more than 20% cpu, because I have lot's of
other things runnig on the same time.

> on modern machines you really shouldn't notice (if you don't have 100 millions
> of vectors each second, but then you will have to wait for faster hardware
> rather than faster abstractions/externals)

ok,
I'll try this one for now.

Thanks for the reply

Cyrille