[PD] some thinkings about Pure-data

kevin ernste kevinernste at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 07:46:03 CEST 2003

> So here's a big "hello" to all "read-only"-participants!

Hello!

I've been "ro" for a week or two, just joined this list and just
started digging in to PD itself.  I'm an old Csound guy, but the
real-time possibilites presented by PD with JACK got me interested.

I do, however, have a problem as well:

When I graphically select and drag/move multiple objects (say a simple
sub-patch copied from another patch), PD slows to a crawl, reports DIO
errors, and then immediately crashes.  A full crash is less likely in
OSS and ALSA modes, but PD dies quite easily in this way when running
in -jack mode.

Is this a Tcl/Tk thing, an audio issue, my problem?  It happens whether
"compute audio" is toggled on or off.

I am on a p4 2.4 with 1gb ram running PlanetCCRMA on Redhat 9 with pd
version 0.36-0.  The card is an M-audio Delta 1010.

Here are the options I'm using:

bash$ sudo jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:0 -r 44100 -p 1024 &

...I have also tried other jackd buffer settings (-p). Then:

bash$ sudo pd -rt -jack -guishadow -cordcolor

It does the same when run as an ordinary user and/or with lesser
options.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Kevin

=====
"I should prefer this note not be read or, if skimmed, that it should be forgotten." - Mallarme