[PD] Gem, graphics cards and OpenGL acceleration.

Martin Dupras martin.dupras at uwe.ac.uk
Mon Jun 30 14:13:46 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've just finished a live interactive video performance gig last week,
and thought I'd do some benchmarking on the machines that were lent to
us, just for fun.

Here's the background to the question that follows.

HP lent us two identical machines (twin 2.8GHz Pentium Xeons, 1.5GB of
ram each). One has an NVIDIA Quadro4 980XL graphics card (128MB DDR
ram), and one has a GeForce4 Ti4600 card (also 128MB DDR ram).  Windows
XP on both.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I did some benchmarking with 3dMark 2003, and
the Geforce4 beats the Quadro4 by about 15-20% on average on just about
everything. In fact, the machine with the quadro scored 1638, and the
Geforce4 scored 1903.

I also tried a few things in photoshop, and found that the difference in
performance ranges from hardly noticeable to about 20-25% longer to
process on the Quadro4.

Now, from what I understand the Quadro4 is a top of the range card for
workstation applications, and the GeForce 4 Ti4600 was top of the gaming
cards maybe 18 months ago.

Can anyone explain why the GeForce4 outperforms the Quadro4?

The corollary question: would I be able to get better performance out of
the Quadro4 than the Geforce undex linux, using GEM? If so, how?

Many thanks.

-          martin

p.s. If there are any other people who would be interested in sharing
performance benchmarks running gem on different cards and
configurations, let me know.