[PD] 4 outs on a cheap soundcard.

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jun 30 16:25:32 CEST 2003

Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> I might help a person set up an installation which contains
> both video and sound all running in pd, and is now giving some free
> advices.
>
> He needs 4 audio outs from pd, so I reccomended the
> delta44 soundcard. He asked if it was possible to use
> a cheap soundcard instead (I presume the soundquality is
> not that important for this). But I have no idea how
> well that works.
>
> Anyone have experience having 4 outs (an "adc~ 1 2 3 4" object) on a cheap
> soundcard (one of those 5.1 cards or something) in pd. Does it work?
>
> Pd is going to run linux.

This is probably better on the LAU list.

Some cheap soundcards will copy a stereo stream over front and rear
giving the impression of surround sound.

However I have a cheap cmipci < $10 which has two seperate devices nodes
for front and rear and you could use each side of the stereo channel as
a mono if neccessary. Not quite the same amount of control as the pro
cards though. Concievably, with an appropriate .asoundrc multi device I
could run jackd in playback only mode then  access the front and rear at
the same time through any jacked app.

I use the multi device so I can access all four channels on my quattro
but haven't tried to use it with the cmipci as I don't make music with it.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman