[PD] Pd vs. MAX

des1gner at optusnet.com.au des1gner at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 1 06:15:24 CEST 2003

At 2:51 +0200 1.7.03, Thomas Grill wrote:

>>  How does GEM compare to Jitter?
>
>I can't really comment on that since i don't know GEM very well.
>From what i see is that Jitter is much more general and is extremely
>well-designed. It seems to be a sum of GEM and PDP at least.

I would say its more the case of Jitter being a combination of
nato.0+55 for Max, and Gridflow for PD.  QuickTime plus matrix
transforms.
GEM is more of an opensource/x-platform video and graphics library
for OpenGL stuff in PD.
The MacOSX version of GEM could implement more QuickTime functions
(thus making it more nato-like) but is bound by the limitations of
GEM having to be cross platform, tending to make it a more
'OpenGL-only' kind of thing.  I haven't used PDP (yet).
nato's use of extensive qt functions (playlists, and much more) makes
it the easiest way to do video related projects for me still.  It is
very direct generally, and has been very stable for me both in live
and installation applications.  Its implementation of QuickTime
features still seems to be the most extensive.

That said, there are many more options now than there were when I
started trying to use Max or PD for video.