[PD] is jMax free or not?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 3 02:56:52 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, J. Scott Hildebrand wrote:

> you can download it from the ircam website, OR you can pay 500 euros for
> it. what the hell??!?!?!?

You can buy GNU straight from the FSF for 5000 bucks. Now which of jMax
and GNU is the freeest?

Well, both are covered by the GNU GPL, which states:

"
                    GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
                       Version 2, June 1991
[...]
  When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.
[...]

"

As a result, "free for noncommercial use" licenses are incompatible with
the GPL, because the GPL forbids the combination of such clauses with
their license.

But IANAL.