[PD] mp3 proxy

Thomas Fredericks iamonthebeach at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 03:37:19 CEST 2003

Hello all, I have a few questions and requests:
1) Has anyone done a port of readanysf~ for win32? And did anyone make an
external capable of running mp3s backward?

I am a c++ newbie and I have been trying for some time now to create a
mp3proxy type based object based on code from d_soundfile(threaded readsf~),
readanysf~,tabread4~,  libMad(mp3 decode library) and mp3play~ but I have
been unsuccessful.

What I want(and need) is an object that translates a complete Mp3 into
Pure-data compatible samples stored in the object (so a 3MB mp3 would fill
up around 32Mb of sample data in an array inside of the object). Now the
advantage of this aproach is that the data could be accessed as tabread4~
accesses array data (fast-forward, rewing would all be accessed by sendind a
signal of index values). The disadvange is the loading time (around 10 secs
on a fast computer, that's why it needs to be threaded).

I imagine the inputs would be a signal (for the indexes) and a method for
the "open" command.The outputs would be 2 signal outs (left and right sound
data) and a bang indicating the file is processed.

So, I need help. I think I have collected the necessary code and libraries,
it just needs to be put together.

Tom O F
iamonthebeach at hotmail.com