[PD] mp3 proxy

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Fri Jul 4 10:25:29 CEST 2003

hi thomas,

I read:
> 1) Has anyone done a port of readanysf~ for win32? And did anyone make an
> external capable of running mp3s backward?

1) dunno
1.5) I used alsaplayer for that (on linux, with jack), and I have the
     feeling that readanyfs~ will do it one day.
     august are you in vienna ? we could meet at the pure date and that
     would make up a nice afternoon project ;)

> What I want(and need) is an object that translates a complete Mp3 into
> Pure-data compatible samples stored in the object (so a 3MB mp3 would fill
> up around 32Mb of sample data in an array inside of the object). Now the
> advantage of this aproach is that the data could be accessed as tabread4~
> accesses array data (fast-forward, rewing would all be accessed by sendind a

the advantage would be none, if you want to 'access as tabread4~' then put
it in a table, and keep in mind that pd's internal sample format is 32bit
floats so a 1minute stereo file will be 60*srate*2*4 bytes.

> signal of index values). The disadvange is the loading time (around 10 secs
> on a fast computer, that's why it needs to be threaded).

if you can wait for even longer (and you have enough ram to waste) you could
record it into [a] table[s] using readanyfs~ or mp3play~ or whatever.

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)