[PD] mp3 proxy

Thomas Fredericks iamonthebeach at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 23:01:18 CEST 2003

Tom wrote:
> > What I want(and need) is an object that translates a complete Mp3 into
> > Pure-data compatible samples stored in the object (so a 3MB mp3 would
fill
> > up around 32Mb of sample data in an array inside of the object). Now the
> > advantage of this aproach is that the data could be accessed as
tabread4~
> > accesses array data (fast-forward, rewing would all be accessed by
sendind a

and CK wrote:
> if you can wait for even longer (and you have enough ram to waste) you
could
> record it into [a] table[s] using readanyfs~ or mp3play~ or whatever.

That's why I do not want to put it in a pd table. The conversion has to be
done as fast as possible with a thread (not normal play speed... why take 3
min when you can take 10 seconds). The audio samples must be in a smaller
format than 32bit floats and therefore stored in the object. Had not thought
about 32bit samples, thanks for the warning, that is a lot of wasted memory.
But I still think decoding all of the mp3 in advance would permit easy
seeking, reverse, nudging and even changing speed more smoothly because you
would have a lot more precision on the samples being played.

Anyways, I think I am going to switch over to linux :
more pd objects and more support(!)... also, some nice dj programs on linux,
I think, cauze I have not tried them out yet... http://gdam.ffem.org/
http://www.terminatorx.cx/ ...see you on the other side.

Tom