[PD] strange (and funny) multi-output problem (RME)

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Wed Jul 9 00:17:21 CEST 2003

Hi everyone

I have bought an RME Multiface about 2 weeks ago and this evening I programmed
my first Pure Data spatialisation patch, that uses 4 independant speakers.

Here is one strange issue though :

"pd -listdev" outputs :

[...]
audio OUT device #1 : Avance AC97 Audio (a crap motherboard sound card by
Intel, I don't use it anymore)
audio OUT device #2 : HDSP Analog out 1 & 2 (connected to speakers)
audio OUT device #3 : HDSP Analog out 3 & 4 (connected to speakers)
audio OUT device #4 : HDSP ANalog out 5 & 6 (connected to speakers)
[...]

The Pd launching command line that allows me to use 4 speakers is the
following :
% pd -outchannels 4 -audiooutdev 2 -audiooutdev 3

In the patch, I use the following object :
[ dac~ 1 2 3 4 ]
...which allows me to output the 4 separated signals from the patch (no other
arguments working for quadraphony, I tried 3 4 5 6 too, see why below)

... But the problem is that these signals are actually output from the
analogue outputs 3, 4, 5 & 6 of the Multiface.
Why isn't it from 1, 2, 3 and 4 as configured ?

1 & 2 output no sound in this configuration

For stereo applications, I can use outputs 1 and 2 without any problem.

Any idea :-) ?
(for example : what is the generic good working launching command line for
full use of the Multiface, and the associated arguments for "dac~"
and "adc~" ?)

Good night (0:17 here)

Julien