[PD] newbie GEM questions

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Wed Jul 9 10:20:19 CEST 2003

lists at martinmalm.com wrote:
> Hi all GEM & PD users,
>
> I have a couple of GEM related questions:
>

> Is it so that the gemwin only can be maximized on the primary display ?
>
> If I have my second display on svideo out at 800 600 and send the message:
> 'offset -800 0, border 0, dimen 800 600' the gemwin fills my tvset nicely,
> but if I set the gemwin at a lower resolution and send a 'fullscreen 1'
> instead, the resolution on my primary monitor is changed and the gemwin
> ends up there instead.

well, "fullscreen" (as i have written it, so it might be linux (and
windows) only) only affects the primary display.
"fullscreen" will ignore the "offset" and "border" message, and will try
to set the resolution of your display to the resolution provided with
"dimen" (default: 500x500). if it fails to do so, it should use the
current resolution instead.
Since "800x600" is a common resolution supported by most (if not all
svga-compatible) hardware, your primary display-resolution will be reset .

if you want fullscreen on you secondary display, just use the "offset,
border, dimen" thing by now.
you should be able to set the resolution of your 2 displays
independantly via your graphics-card drivers (that is display-properties
on windows and XF86Config on linux)

> Is there som other way to use different 'render' and 'display' resolutions
> in GEM ?
i don't fully understand your question, but basically does it mean, to
blow up a (say) "320x240" openGL-rendering (Gem-window) to (say)
1024x768-fullscreen (upsampling) ?

> Another question Is if the dimen of the gemwin influences the render
> resolution in video processing with the pix_ objects ?
as chris has said, no.

mfg.as.dr
IOhannes