[PD] netsend / netreceive for Max <-> Pd communication

d.lj jdl at xdv.org
Thu Jul 10 15:15:15 CEST 2003

that help text in

pd/doc/5.reference/netsend.pd

should be updated to point to http://www.akustische-kunst.org/maxmsp/

[Olaf Matthes]->[Re: [PD] [announce] netsend / netreceive for Max <-> Pd...

 |okay, to avoid any confusion: in Pd's help patch for netsend some Max
 |objects called 'netsend' and 'netreceive' are mentioned (the link given
 |there does not work any longer...). These objects are different from the
 |ones I made and here is what's actually different:
 |- they only support UDP
 |- they only send messages consisting of <symbol> <float>
 |- the 'syntax' (i.e. how the patch has to look like) is different from
 |how it is done in Pd
 |
 |With my objects I've tried to stick as close as possible to the Pd
 |objects (but I don't support the 'old' flag....). So everything you see
 |in the help patches for Pd can be done exactly the same way in Max.
 |But the text in the netreceive help patch from Pd 0.36 still states
 |"Incoming network messages appear in 'receive' objects;" This is no
 |longer true (unless the 'old' flag is set to explicitly switch back to
 |this old mode).
 |
 |To send messages of arbitrary length, the following (using 'l2s' from
 |zexy) should work:
 |
 |[your list of arbitrary length with 23 floats and probably symbols]
 | |
 |[l2s]
 | |
 |[send $1]
 | |
 |[netsend]
 |
 |By converting a list to a symbol it shrinks down to a constant length of
 |always one symbol, regardless the original list length. netreceive will
 |unpack it into a list again before sending it through it's outlet.
 |
 |Olaf
 |

 |jose manuel berenguer schrieb:
 |>
 |> hello
 |>
 |> as far as i know, netsend and netreceive work with lists ... i
 |> haven't tested the limit of length, but if you send the message, say,
 |>
 |> (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11)
 |>
 |> and you connect the left outlet of netreceive to a print object  you
 |> will see the list 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 on the terminal
 |>
 |> if you connect this left outlet to a message (set $1), and the outlet
 |> of this message to an empty message box, you will get 0
 |>
 |> if you connect it to a message (set $1 $2), you will get  0 1
 |>
 |> (set $1 $2 $3) will give 0 1 2, and so on...until $9...
 |>
 |> if you connect the left outlet of netreceive to an unpack object you
 |> will retrieve all integers sent...
 |>
 |> if you start the list by a symbol, you can retrieve it by forcing
 |> unpack to process a symbol (s) in its first analyzed atom
 |>
 |> if you place a symbol in any other place of your outgoing list, you
 |> should also inform unpack about the position...
 |>
 |> the list fuu 4 4 4 fiii
 |>
 |> should be read by unpack s 0 0 0 s.
 |>
 |> you need, indeed, connect outlets 1 and 5 to symbol boxes...
 |>
 |> in max, you need only connect the left outlet of netreceive to a
 |> prepend set object connected to an empty message box...
 |>
 |> jmb
 |>
 |> >I remember some time ago I tried a pd netsend/netreceive object for Max and it
 |> >would only accept single element messages, for instance, 3 64; would be
 |> >accepted as just 3. Is this object you're talking about a different one that
 |> >will accept messages with multiple elements?
 |> >
 |> >Pall
 |> >
 |> >sjs
 |> >http://www.this.is/harmony
 |> >http://130.208.220.190/panse

 |> --
 |> Jose Manuel Berenguer
 |> jmbeal at telefonica.net +34932857046 +34696538403
 |> jmberenguer at cccb.org  +34933064128
 |> http://212.163.142.140/jmb/index.html
 |> http://sonoscop.cccb.org http://ocaos.cccb.org/caos
 |> Sonoscop/Orquesta del Caos. CCCB. Montalegre, 5. 08001 Barcelona. Spain

X          Ð          v          .          o          r          g
GPG-key at http://xdv.org/~jdl/jdl.pub.asc