[PD] patch creation optimization <was> Re: [PD-announce] k_cext V0.2.4

nicolas.sevaux at tremplin-utc.net nicolas.sevaux at tremplin-utc.net
Fri Jul 11 17:38:15 CEST 2003

hello,

i read this afternoon :
>however: pd is a graphical programming language with one simple paradigma:
>if you have the plot/image of a pd-patch and you make a patch, that
>looks exactly the same, the patch *has* to work exactly the same way.
>this of course is not true if you rely on the order of cord-creation.

in fact I don't really understand cos there's somethings not clear in my mind.
I was told by a friend, experimented user of Max/msp that when you create a
patch, there are some 'hidden' rules :
example: if a bang is connected to 2 objects, the most at right receive the
bang first (it can be very important for an init)
or : if this objects are centered, the most on the bottom receive the bang
first (same problem)
and : the date of creation of a link (inlet->outlet) can also say which object
receive the info first between 2.
(::everything is from my memory %}

I'd like to know if there are some rules like this I missed in the Pd-doc, and
in general I'd like to know if there is a doc giving simple optimization
advices (like 1 loadbang to multiple bang is better than multiple loadbang
(which is the first ??)) .. and tricks like that to make my video/hypernav
project going faster.

i realize my questions are not really clear, but I'm sure there is somewhere
anybody who experimented PD in optimization problems.

Sebal>