[PD] Re: [PD-dev] Serial Object

guenter geiger geiger at xdv.org
Sun Jul 13 11:41:54 CEST 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 bbogart at ryerson.ca wrote:

> Sounds good, where is it available?
>
> I think I tried a "comport" object for windows, which only resturned
> the ascii data as a string of ints from the ascii table. I was
> hoping for something that returns a list for each line from the
> serial port, for easy parsing.

This is not easy possible, as pd doesn't support all ASCII characters,
so you would have to write the parser outside of pd anyhow.
The good thing about the comport object is that you do not have to
rewrite OS dependent serial port communication, but you just have
to write a parser, that interprets the incoming ascii value.

For that matter, if you want to have strings, just write a small
external that translates the int stream into strings.

Guenter