[PD] [OT] serial out to midi

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Thu Jul 17 10:45:54 CEST 2003

> have the hardware to make a wire with a serial connection at one end and a
> midi connection at the other. i think that all i should need is a diagram
> showing how to wire this connector, and a driver which allows the serial
port
> to accept midi information from pd and send out a signal that a midi
device
> would understand.

It's not that easy... You would have to convert the +5Volts TTL signals from
the serial port into a 20mA current loop for MIDI. You also would have to
change a crystal in your computer (!) to get the MIDI data rate of 31.25 kBaud
(which can not be achieved with a standard serial port). You also need to
code a driver...
In the end it's easier to get a MIDI interface that connects to the serial
port. However, I could email you the needed info on how to build such a device
but I think nowadays readily manufactured devices are much cheaper. I once
built one in the days when a MIDI interface was around $400.... ;-)

Olaf