[PD] about latency

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 17 22:39:45 CEST 2003

If I understand you correctly, you want to play along with an audiofile and
then send the mix over the net to somebody else to add his/her part, and you
want some kind of automatic latency detection so you can adjust the delay you
need to add to the soundfile input.

Did you check out the latency test in the pd tools directory?
It gives you an estimate of the roundtrip latency.
Since you also need the roundtrip latency (file output + live input) you could
use this number.

Or you can record both your playing and rerecord the soundfile to a new file
from the adc~. Basically recording what you are hearing. It adds one more
dac-adc pass but that may not be so bad. Depending on your sound card and the
number of overdubs of course.

hope this helps
Gerard